Friday, May 29, 2009

Godstorm Review

I just thought I'd share with everyone about another version of Risk I've played recently. There's a version of Risk, which is also made by the company Avalon Hill, known as Godstorm Risk. A couple of friends and I played this version a few weeks ago. Aside from my friend Luke, who owns the game, it was everyone's first time playing.
I found this version of the game to be very interesting, and surprisingly alot of fun. First of all, the game incorporates ancient mythology, which puts a cool spin on it. Each player selects a different "race" of people (Egyptians, Greeks, Norse, Romans, etc.) Each race has its own god's that are specific to the mythology of that particular race. Now, this is mostly just for fun, since each god in the game does the same thing throughout the races.
Eace player has 4 gods, which act sort of like commanders as in Risk 2210. Each god has it's own special ability. Some abilities are offensive, some defensive, and some are a little of each. Now the craziest thing about this game to me, and the most different from 2210, was the cards. The cards work pretty much the same as in 2210... you can't use them without that specific god in play and so on and so forth, but there is a much larger variety of cards and they are much, much more impactful to the game itself. There are several cards (especially the god of death cards) that are completely and utterly destructive, and there is almost no way to predict or memorize all of the cards that another player may have seeing as their are so many of them. I though that this would make the game not as fun for me, seeing as I rely on prediction and strategy to play, but it made it so exciting I hardly noticed.
The game board is set in Europe and North Africa, but the general rules about continents and bonuses still apply, and the territory dynamics are at least comparable to the classic Risk world map. Instead of a moon, though, like in 2210, there is an underworld. The only way to get there is to die. That's right, after your troops die, they are sent to the underworld, and must enter at 1 of 3 specific points. This ads a very interesting dynamic to the game as well. Once a man dies in the underworld, however, it is gone forever.
In the end of our game, I came away with the win by applying my standard Risk 2210 strategies, but I can see how those would probably not be the best for every situation in Godstorm. So, needless to say I had a great experience playing this different version of Risk, and look forward to playing it again. I definitely wont stop playing 2210 though, that's for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Cool review. One could presumably create a horror/sci-fi hybrid variant of Risk 2210 by calling the moon "The Moon of Dead Souls" and allowing only killed MODs to land on the moon. No live MODs could travel to the moon, but moon MODs could return to earth.

    ReplyDelete